Saturday 7 April 2012

Spell Bound Review


Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3)

Spell Bound
Rachel Hawkins
Hyperion Book
March 13th 2012

Summary:

Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident.

Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?


Review:

I don't think anyone was as excited to see how this truly addicting series came to an end. Okay, maybe some people were just as excited for it. I can say that Spell Bound was just as great as Hex Hall and Demon Glass, and was an excellent conclusion even though I would rather it not end at all.

Sophie is a hilarious main character she gives more than a few chuckle worthy comebacks. Besides being funny she's also strong, witty, and caring. She's someone I would with out a doubt be friends with if she were real. I really love the love triangle in this series, Sophie is interested in Archer and is sort of dating him while at the same time being engaged to Cal. I love both swoon worthy boys, but I tend to lean towards Archer because he has the same sense of humour as Sophie, which I love so much.

The stakes are really high in the conclusion to the Hex Hall series, not everyone makes it out alive this time. Which is really sad, but in the end I found was really sweet. You'll have to actually read the book to see what I talking about here. Beating the Casnoff witches and stopping them from raising an army of demons is a huge challenge for Sophie and the gain. Not to mention that Sophie's powers are working at the moment and she must find a way to get them back, her friends may or may not be dead, and her father has gone through the removal.

I really enjoyed that we got to know more about the Brannick family, like in Demon Glass we got to know more about The Eye and Archer's role with them. Let me tell you there is a huge surprise that revolves around the Brannick's. Of course there are many more throughout the book. The romance between Sophie and Archer- and Sophie and Cal is very well written and sweet. As expected the writing is amazing and humorous, and beyond enjoyable. I have no complaints to give to Spell Bound, I completely love this book.

I don't normally include quotes in my reviews, but this one was too funny to not include:

" Jackass, Jackass on the wall, where's the info on Hex Hall?"
- Sophie Mercer
Page 75 of Spell Bound

1 comment:

  1. I was afraid of spoilers, but I read just enough to know you loved this book. I have to start this series! I've only heard great things. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear your thoughts! :)