Monday 21 May 2012

Of Poseidon Review

Of Poseidon
Of Poseidon
Anna Banks
Feiwel and Friends
May 22nd 2012


Summary:

Emma and her friend Chloe are spending vacation in Florida. When Emma (literally) runs into a hot guy named Galen on the beach, little does she know he’s a prince of the Syrena. Galen and Emma both feel something strange – is it attraction? – and Galen suspects that Emma might well be the girl he’s heard of – a human who can communicate with fish.

What follows is a deadly scene with a shark in which Galen witnesses Emma’s gifts. He must know more about her, and follows her back to New Jersey, and high school, to find out for sure if she’s the key to saving his kingdom. Soon, Emma can’t deny her feelings for him, but can’t explain them, either – and both she and Galen must learn more about where she comes from and what her powers are before they can trust one another and their feelings

Review:

Ohmysweetgoodness I loved this book! It's a fish out of water story, quite literally. Jammed pack with witty humour, mermaids, and a romance that is sure to steal your heart. Of Poseidon is a book that shouldn't be missed.

The book is told from both Emma and Galen's point of view in alternating chapters in both first and third person. It intersting how the change of characters also brings on a change in writing perspectives. As soon as Emma met Galen, by running into him, I fell in love. Galen is just the best, cute and funny, what more could a girl want?

Emma is a great main character, she has a real attitude that I can definitely relate to. I could totally imagine myself being friends with her is she were real despite her bad attitude. She is also quite funny as is Galen, when you read the book you will see that Ohmysweetgoodness is kind of her catch phrase.

Besides Of Poseidon being well written,humourus, and having a creative take on mermaids I loved the character interactment. They all play off of eachother so well and make this book awesome. You wont just want to read the book to see why Emma can talk to fish, you will also want to check out all the things I mentioned above.

Just something I found to be a bit funny, insults under the sea aren't like the ones we use here on land. To insult someone they call eachother some kind of sea creature that isn't something you want to be. Beware there is a bit of a cliffhanger that will make you ask "Where's book two? I need it now!" Anyways do yourself a favour and pick up Of Poseidon and fall in love with this masterpiece of a book.

6 comments:

  1. tnx 4 the gr8 review

    looking4ward to it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book! I stayed up until 2AM finishing it last night! I loved the characters, and the Syrena history was fascinating. Thanks for the great review!

    Debz @ Debz Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a fabulous blog! I’m an author and illustrator and I made some awards to give fellow bloggers whose sites I enjoy. I want to award you with one of my homemade awards: Creative Blog Award. There are no pass along requirements. This is just to reward you for all the hard work you do!

    Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
    ~Deirdra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to start off by saying that this book was hilarious! I loved the main character, Emma, and I really felt a strong connection to her. Not only is she smart, funny and a bit snarky as well. It was so much fun to read this book through Emma's eyes. I love her character! We really see her grow more confident with herself throughout the book, especially after she meets Galen. Ah, Galen. He was such an interesting character. I also enjoyed watching the relationship grow between him and Emma. They were so very sweet together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a lot of fun with this book! Emma cracked me up and her love/hate relationship with Galen's sister (her name escapes me right now). I also love the world under the sea and how Galen and Emma met. The book has great humor and the pacing is never dragged out or overly done. Definitely excited to read the next one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear your thoughts! :)